Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Voyage



This is a fold-out piece I created for the June Challenge in the "Altered Art Europe" group. The theme is "The Voyage". Cover and inside panel(s) are created separately and then bound at the left edge. The booklet opens left to right, and the inside panel folds out on three levels to create an illusion of depth.



I used 180g/m2 photo card (beige) for the project. I stamped the cover with gold pigment ink and a travel-theme stamp, then embossed it using fine clear embossing powder. I then coloured the entire outside of the cover with Caran d'Ache Neocolour water soluble crayons in three shades of watery blue and green, which I softened and spread using a baby wipe. The fold is decorated using a scrap of torn and distressed corrugated paper (Ranger distress ink pads).

Inside, I made the waves by spreading gesso on the card and using a comb to create the wave pattern. After it was dry, I painted the waves using Caran d'Ache Neocolour crayons and water. (Water and baby wipes create different effects. Try them both and see for yourself!) For the middle layer I used part of a school atlas I picked up at a flea market. The background panel contains scraps from an ephemeris, tide tables, logarithm tables, and stamped and coloured images and scraps from magazines. After punching holes along the top of the inside panel, I sewed on fibres and attached mini tags and trinkets.

And yes, I also made a journal for my 1000 Mini-Journals project. Here it is:


No comments: