Sunday, July 23, 2006

Summer Journal

Today's visual offering is one of the little 7x7 centimetre summer journals I made yesterday. The covers are card (I recycle product packaging for small items like this) covered with background papers created using 180g/m2 aquarelle paper and water-soluble aquarelle crayons. As so often of late, I used baby wipes rather than water to spread the colour. The inside pages are unstiffened painted (wiped) aquarelle paper. The small pages with flower stamps are scraps I had left over from another project. I swiped and dragged a light green chalk ink pad over the pages to add interest and then edged the papers using dark green and blue inks. While rummaging for something else I found a drop of green glitter glue at the bottom of a tube, so I wiped that over the cover, too.

It was a quick and easy task to bind the journal by running pale green paper-covered wire--the kind people are sign to make little lamps these days--and a length of emerald green effect wire through some holes I punched with a setting tool. There's really no need to set eyelets or grommets on something this small. I looped the binding loosely, so the journal can be opened flat to write entries. A couple of tiny scraps of ribbon and a few tiny shells rounded it all off, and here you are!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful journal Susan! I love the soft watery feel of it. Perfect for summer. And what an original way to bind the book! I'll have to try that paper-covered wire technique.

Linda D. said...

Lovely! I wouldn't have thought of doing something like this, loads of techniques I haven't tried... perhaps I'll have a play later :>
Linda.

Lee Ambrose said...

Susan!
Your photos are "eye candy" for the creative in me!! And the fact that you are so generous with the sharing of your techniques is a special gift as well. This is lovely and like Chantal, I immediately thought that it was perfect for the watery effects... lovely. Lee