Friday, July 05, 2013

Birthday Poster

I can't believe how long it's been since I last posted. A lot of life got in my way over the past two and a half years, with extreme challenges and upheavals that turned my life into something barely recogniseable to me for long stretches.But I'm feeling brave now, and I've decided to revive my blogs and some of the larger projects I had running.

Today's post is just a little - well, not so little - poster I made as a "card" for a friend's upcoming birthday. It's slightly larger than A4.

The substrate is the backing from a paper pad. I first rubbed on, direct to paper, two shades of pigment ink in blue tones - Adirondack Earthtones "Stream" and Color Box "Glacier Lake", then stamped the visible border using a Dylusions flower stamp and black Stazon. Once it was dry, I coloured some of the flowers using Pitt Pens.

The central panel is Bristol paper coloured with two shades of Derwent Inktese pencils. I only bought those last week, and now I understand why everyone raves about them. The colours pop! Then I drew a double frame (black fineliner) and filled in the spaces with patterns. 

The fairy was drawn freehand on a separate scrap of paper, coloured and cut out. After I had decided where I wanted her to go, I stuck her on using gel medium, then I wrote the story. As a final detail, I added the doodles that look like musical notes.

To finish up, I punched two holes, threaded through some sea green wire and added a bow.

No comments: